View Single Post

Old 09-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Liked 18,481 Times in 7,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duigiud View Post
Can’t argue with common sense logic. But why couldn’t one pull the trigger multiple times on his .32 S&W as well? But you’re right a bigger bullet will come in contact with more substance and if it has the velocity, which a snub nose usually won’t, might expand increasing that contact. The bigger the bullet the bigger the hole. But the bigger the bullet the bigger the gun required to carry it too. That’s a concederation for CCW. If you have to “dress for the gun” just to carry one you’re likely to one day just say “oh the hell with it” and leave it at home, and that’s when you’ll need it. Centuries ago when I was a Special Agent with Customs in Key West assigned to the FL Joint Task Group I thought bigger the better too so I got myself a .45 cal Detonics. Remember those? They were a 1911 Colt .45 that was chopped down in size and the grip Safety deactivated. The thing was 7 inches long and weighed 34 ounces unloaded. I tried to tote it around when working but couldn’t. Customs had a reg where all weapons had to be worn concealed. In tropical Key West one didn’t wear jackets. I tried to wear it in an ankle holster that didn’t work out. It kept on rotating to the front of my ankle. It went from my ankle to my briefcase then one day as I was pulling into the office parking lot I realized that I had left it at home! A Federal Narc and he left his gun at home! Moron! But ain’t we all human? Drove the 20 odd miles back to the house to fetch it and had to fill out a leave slip for being late for work. That made my mind up to sell it and went to a Beretta model 84 .380 14 shot. Carried it with Winchester silver tips. The Beretta was light enough to carry in an ankle holster but after awhile that got ridiculous too so I went back to the tried a true S&W model 60. If you are going to carry, carry something that’s not a hindrance, something that’s no more troublesome than picking up your car keys on your way out the door. If you have to “dress” just to wear your gun chances are you will leave it at home. How do you wear an ankle holster with shorts in the summer? Are you going to wear pants in the summertime during the day when it’s 100 + degrees outside and the humidity makes it feel even hotter just so you can wear your ankle holster? Are you going to be able to carry your 30 + ounce gun in the pants pocket of your shorts when you slip on a tee shirt and flip flops and drive down to your local stop-n-rob to pick up something for the wife? Bigger sometimes is not always better. First rule of gun fighting, rule #1. Bring a gun, any gun, even a puny, runty .32 S&W!
There was never any assumption that you couldn't/wouldn't fire multiple rounds from a .32. I was contrasting the ability to put multiple shots center mass vs trying to make a 1 shot stop to the face. If a 32 is what you can punch multiple center mass holes in a bad guy with, then it fits the bill.

On the other hand, would you prefer multiple shots of lighter slower .312 (32acp) or the same number of heavier, faster moving .355 (9mm)? When trying to incapacitate by center mass hits, obviously bigger, heavier, faster projectiles have an advantage.

FWIW, I carry my LC9 in a pants or shorts pocket all the time - when I'm not carrying it IWB or in an inside vest pocket. for me, 8 rounds of hot 9mm SD (124gr HP) ammo inspire a lot of confidence.
The Following User Likes This Post: