View Single Post

Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Take a look at the standard pressure 150 grain hard cast full wadcutters in 38/357 caliber sold by Buffalo Bore. These loads are claimed to make over 800 fps in a 1 7/8" barrel J Frame and be fully safe to shoot in the bargain. Shooting these produces more recoil than the standard target strength wadcutters that may range from high 600's into low 700 fps range.

I carry five of these in my EDC J Frames with a 158 grain SWCHP or a Speer Gold Dot 135 grain JHP for short barrels used as a reload since they feed more quickly and easily without fumbling as much. I carry these reloads in a 2X2X2 waist belt pouch or in a speed strip carrier. These BB full wads are more than competent for personal protection in a J Frame. They will penetrate sufficiently (and more than some other factory loadings) while cutting a full diameter hole. I have shot a tough old jackrabbit with one of these and when the bullet struck, it sounded like a fastpitch softball hitting the catcher's mitt, FWIW. More impressive was the response present displayed by the tough old rabbit. That's not a larger critter, but the full wad put it down right there, only with very serious disassembly present! As a comparison, I've had these run off and die after being shot through with a +P premium loading in .38 Special.

These rounds are not cheap, but I have no negatives to report about them. I've seen many LEO's who carried the regular target full wadcutters first up in their duty weapons over the years. Some had actual experience with them. They trusted them. And as is documented, Jim Cirillo who had significant experience with the NYPD in stakeout squads was prone to carry full wadcutters for that duty. Don't discount the full wadcutters out of hand as personal protection worthy carry loads!

Edit: I see RichCapeCod has listed the link for the round I am recommending here.

Last edited by kthom; 09-30-2018 at 10:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: