View Single Post

Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 PM

Liked 685 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Received my 6280 today and two markings on the backside make me think it was made in '06.

I wouldn't be so brazen as to call it a holster; because it's just a plastic box with a hasp over one end. The pistol (G20, I have to use an aluminum dummy here) moves up and down 1/2" (measured) in it. Can't think of any gunleather holster where that would be acceptable.

It's also 3-1/2" thick from hip contact to outer shell! And the gap created at the trigger is certainly big enough to access the trigger on a Glock -- that actually has no manual safety.

I would call this particular Safariland design either "what were they thinking?" or "unsafe at any speed" (if you remember the Corvair book) or "monstro" (if you remember the black whale of Pinocchio). I keep photos of these designs in my file that is called the former (whatweretheythinking).
Offered with respect, the holsters discussion in the original post is for not a 6280, which is a dedicated SLS, a Self Locking System. I believe SLS is a 15 years older design than ALS.
ALS(R) Duty Holsters

Both are Safariland, both can be black, both hang off belts but they are actuated differently by the thumb. I also believe the systems can be combined. In the U.S., Safariland is a market leader in law enforcement retention holster. The line between ALS and SLS gets blurred in their website, but I mostly familiar with ALS in more a concealment use versus uniformed duty use.

Relative to vertical movement is totally different experience than I have had with Glock 19 ALS concealment holsters. I can put a G26 in the G19 and not have a half-inch of movement. Neither raises the trigger access concern either.

There is more movement in the 6378 light-bearing ALS holster but the bigger concern is just the holstering process there. That is a bit of polymer bucket, but again, modern U.S. law enforcement practice is for a weapon mounted light.

Last edited by HardToHandle; 10-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: