View Single Post

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,552 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Callahan View Post
It's a Taurus Model 85 Barrel.

I've seen this before, it's the result of an over torqued barrel, and it isn't exclusive to Taurus either. In fact, I've seen it more often on Rugers and to a lesser extent Smith & Wessons than I have Taurus, so all you "hurr hurr toris" people who like to parrot what you hear about firearms brands you don't actually own because your uncle's, sister's, cousin's former roommate owned one and it was allegedly of poor quality in ways which were never explained can give it a rest.

Yikes! That must have been painful. How was your hand afterwards? Hopefully you didn't have to type that all out with only one hand, although it wouldn't surprise me if you did, assuming that it literally exploded in your hand.
I speak for no one but myself, however I can tell you that I've owned 7 or 8 Taurus handguns (first was in 1985), and at this time I own none (nor do I see me ever owning anymore), as my experience was less then half of those were decent guns.

My first 2 or 3 were ok (at the time, they were about all I could afford), but after those, most of the ones I purchased were not that great (most would call them junk).

About 2 years ago a friend asked me to help him look for his first revolver, as we went looking, of course I recommended used S&W or Ruger, as he was limited in what he could spend.

He found a 6" Taurus .357 at a price he liked (about $250), and try as I could to talk him out of it, he bought it.

Let's just say it made it's way back to the "Taurus mother ship" within a month of his purchase.

Needless to say, he is now taking my advice and looking for a used S&W or Ruger.

But again, just my experience, and why I have no problem calling Taurus junk.

YMMV

Last edited by rwt1405; 10-05-2018 at 10:17 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: