View Single Post

Old 10-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Liked 341 Times in 181 Posts
Default Std pressure 38 spl vs. 32 HMR mag

I have not seen or abme to find much on comparing these two rounds and effectiveness.

What little I have see. Would indicate extremely slight advantage to the 38 spl. But so small that it would seem insignificant in real world effectiveness.

Also the guns like LCR in 327 federal that can shoot 32 H&R mag are available with 6 shots versus 38 spl and even 9mm revolvers that almost exclusively are 5 shot cylinders.

It would seem having an “extra” 6th round of an ever so slightly less powerful cartridge would outweigh the nearly negligible power gain.

What I have found seems to indicate out pf a short snub barrel, that 32 H&R mag gets about 800 fps and about 200 ft-lbs energy at muzzle. While the std 38 pressure gets about 825 fps and 225 ft-lbs.

Is that small gain really significant in real world effectiveness?

I have yet not found much on penetration comparison.

Sure a 38 special can go +p or even jump to 357 mag. But a LCR can jump to 327 federal which has been compared to 357 and still have the “extra” 6th round.

I dont much care about the argument of limited ammo choices. As the internet allows purchase at bulk. And if the few choices for 32 H&R mag are all good and effective bullets, it seems like a moot point to me.

Thoughts?
The Following User Likes This Post: