View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Liked 4,191 Times in 1,866 Posts
Default Update! Ādvice requested

The encrusted die arrived and looked like a rust ball, nothing moved. I was afraid that the die was a total loss. I am happy to report that the current formula of Coke works as well as the original formula from the '60s. A 3 hour soak in about 2" of CocaCola dissolved all of the rust and the die could be completely disassembled without any tools. After an overnight soak it will be rinsed with water, dried, then lightly oiled.

I have a soft spot for the old Lyman 310 Tong Tool, ever since I saw one of their old "loading in a nutshell" ads. I find them to be useful when doing range testing (provided that I have the proper dies), when at matches when I have to reload some extra ammo, or for the infamous SHTF scenario. I have put together a complete set of 38/357 for my children so they will be able to keep the revolvers they will inherit running.

I needed to locate a flat tipped seating stem for my wadcutters and SWC bullets. These stems are not easy to find, but I did obtain one that is encrusted in rust. Back when my grandfather was alive, when we needed to break thru rusted nuts, bolts, and parts on the farm, we would just soak the items in CocaCola. If that doesn't work with the new formulas of Coke, what would the forum suggest that I try?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by lrrifleman; 10-14-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updated information
The Following User Likes This Post: