View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 01:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts
Default Smith or Ruger, or maybe nothing

I have a Smith 642, double action only .38. It has been a chore involving lots of ammunition, but I am finally learning to shoot double action. I liken it to the first time I shot a 1911 .45. It took time, but one day, I could shoot it.

I have read the thread about the 9mm, and had thought of getting one for a while, but I want a DAO, and they are rare in S&W.

I am considering a .357. again, DAO. The Ruger 101 seems to be a real, shootable (small) .357 and available in the dao configuration. I checked out an LCR ,357 dao. It's action was lighter and smoother than the same gun with a hammer. Is this your findings, or was it just a good individual gun. Is the same true for the 101? Do you really shoot .357 in the J-frame S&W dao .357 (with stainless frame)? Is this a viable solution, or should I just forget it, and stick with my 642? I am not particularly recoil shy as I shoot a 9mm Double Tap derringer on a regular basis.

My Smith 686 (2 1/2" ) may be my most accurate handgun. I seldom flinch with it, but it is heavy. (I don't have access to many of the guns in question, so it is good to know before placing an order.)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: