View Single Post

Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey guys. First Post. Love my grand-dad's chiefs special and I have a M2.0 shield in 9mm for about six months.

Listen, I get that people might feel that general good faith advice is helpful on advisability of increasing mag capacity. and that has a place. On the other hand it is also clear a lot of people who have done all proper considerations do have a compelling interest in increasing capacity, even if for others this is a non-issue. It was one of the first things i thought about when looking at shield a couple of years ago and I have tried to follow most discussions of this.

To me the issue is not convenience at the range, I'd rather practice swapping mags anyway, but for defensive concealed carry.

***So I do think the more info we can have on -- even if anecdotal -- on defensive ammo performance on the half dozen or more alternatives, the better.*** If i was richer I would buy all the methods/makes of extension and run a few hundred rounds of various makes of JHP, through each type of extensions scheme on both the oem 7 and oem 8 round mags. short of that it would be good to know if anyone has run a decent amount of JHP though an particular one with positive or negative results.
-------------
Longer discussion of why you may not, but some shield owners might find an compelling interest in getting a couple of more rounds.

In my particular case, I'm in DC and I can't possess >10 round mags anywhere in DC.

In DC the limit while carrying is 20 rounds total and two "loads" total, meaning one "load" in the gun and one single spare mag. sure the difference between (7+1)+8=16 and (8+1)+10=19 (with a maguts no increase in size on the 7, and say a hyde2 on 8 spare to bring it to 10) is not much, but it still is 19% more firepower.

For those who say: "do you expect to spray and pray or get in a huge firefight?", I say I dont expect anything, but I do know about 99% of defensive gun use involves never firing so really if you are going to use the logic that capacity doesn't matter then we call all do with single shot.

In DC cops carry 17+1+17+17. Ie 52 rounds standard every day for the average beat cop, not to mention what else might be in a patrol car.
OK I am not a cop but DC has a 26% gun ownership rate, and 1% of it is legal meaning 1/4 of the entire population of my fair city, or nearly half the males here are already gun criminals. While I know the vast majority of Us shootings are criminal on criminal, I also know that the risk of me being faced with one or two armed attackers is much higher relative to other places because of the huge proportion of criminals with guns here.

If you ask why not a p365, my answer would also reflect why some considerations are different depending on where you live, where you carry. for me it is because the 365 has no external manual safety. I never had a striker fired gun before. I've got granddad's revolver, and a couple of Sig SA/DA. That is +10lbs on first (long) pull. Now sure, we all know 99.999% of NDs are operator error. And I sure as heck support anyone who elects no safety. But in DC there are a few times a week where I must unchamber and fully unload the gun while sitting in my car. if I park on the street in front of my kid's school I am ok, I am still ok if I get out and stand on the sidewalk. But if I have to go in and sign him out my firearm has to be locked in my trunk with ammo separate. If I get on the DC metro (bus or subway) or even a cab, I also have to remove mag and unchamber the gun and put it and the mag in separate little locking pouches I keep in my backpack or briefcase. My guess is that a lot of you who (correctly) feel fine without no safety, might themselves prefer a safety in a place and set of habits where you have to unload, including unchambering, a striker, and reload it as well, outside the comfort of your home in a place where any ND is going to be noticed and bring down 50 cops, a lost carry gun licences and likely prosecution of public endangerment.

For sure there are lots of people with strikers and no external safety that are disciplined an profoundly safe. I consider myself very proficient and disciplined with finger indexing, care in re-holstering etc. But I have to manipulate the handgun a lot outside my home and an ND where I live will be noticed much more for example than my brother in southern Virginia. His might be as simple as being upset at himself for shooting a hole in the floorboard of his truck at his farm, mine might involve helicopters, federal agents and handcuffs, or due simply to density, someone hurt.

So I get the good faith advice people have given from their point of view concerning other alternatives (not extending, considering a different gun) but the interest in extensions is legit.

Thanks!

Last edited by HillRunner; 10-10-2018 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: