View Single Post

Old 10-15-2018, 01:11 AM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyphil View Post
Chic has often been referred to as the father of the modern concealment
holster. I would argue on behalf of Capt. Hughes if the word "modern"
was not used.
This is discussed at length in The Book. Gaylord was the father of the Eastern School, which is made of thin leathers and without welts; because of the flatbed sewing machines he used. Hughes: well, it was his idea that popularised the Western School but I reckon we'd have to say it was Sam Myres; because it was he who first produced the thick leather, welted holsters en masse.

Paris carried the flag for the Eastern school, so to speak, for which Chic never forgave him according to several articles at the end of Chic's life. And the rest of us popularized the Eastern School: Bianchi, and Galco, and Sparks, and DeSantis (who is on record saying he wouldn't be in the biz if it weren't for Paris), Alessi, Null, even Bruce Nelson.

Perhaps we could refer to Captain Hughes, and Tom Threepersons, as the 'patron saints' of the modern Western school holster; because it was they who used their fame to promote the Rabensburg by Brill and the Threepersons by Myres holster designs, respectively.

I still build using both schools; my Bogart range according to the principles of the Eastern School, and my Threepersons range according to the Western.