View Single Post

Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

Go with the revolver because it is all around the simplest, safest and most reliable gun. I started out with semi autos but they sit in the safe while I carry a 44 special revolver. My night stand gun is a 1911 semi auto .45 caliber. My 44 special sits along with it at night. My daily carry is the 44 special revolver.

A S&W 640 is a really good choice in my opinion. There again do you want single action that doesn't have an exposed hammer? Or do you want a double action/single action that has a hammer you can pull back and fire or you can just pull the trigger to fire it in double action?

If you know some people that have a few guns ask them to go to the range with you and let you shoot several guns to see what you like best. You want the gun that fits your hand like it was made for it. You want to see if the trigger suits you as well as if you can handle the recoil with ease. I know of no one gun fits all and no matter what works for someone else might not be the gun for you. Being new to guns it is easy to get overwhelmed especially without the guns in your hand to check them out.

Myself and I am sure many here have bought guns because of the reviews and such only to find out they just weren't the cats meow we expected. A gun you don't like does you no good sitting in a drawer and that never even gets practice shooting.

My wife's first gun was a S&W Model 36 five shot 38 special. She had no problem shooting the gun and it was quite accurate also. Don't ever shoot any gun without first being shown how to safely use it. Revolver cylinder gap can blow your fingers off and a semi auto slide can rip the skin off your hand.

Your best bet is to have an experienced shooter go with you to a range that rents guns to shoot. Like I said there are no one guns fits all that I know of. You also don't need a Lexus to occasionally go to the grocery store but if that's what you want then have at it.