View Single Post

Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 AM

Liked 2,220 Times in 1,031 Posts

Back in the 80s when I started handgun hunting i had been reading about it for a long but hadn't tried it and sure enough found out hitting a 10 inch pie plate at 100 yards consistently wasn't easy at all .So I went to the best revolver guy I knew personaly for assistance my dad.So he worked it out to take me to the Police range and give me some refresher training and some long distance handgun tips .We walked out to the rifle side 100 yard line and put up a target walked back and a couple of young officers were watching with interest and one of them made a comment along the lines of Seargeant has it been so long that you forgot which side is rifle and which side is pistol and they both laughed a little so did dad . He then proceeded to put 6 rounds out of his model 10 in the center mass of that target reloaded and put 6 more in the head looked at me and said now that I got my arthritis broke loose and am warmed up you ready to train. I said yes sir .One of the young officers asked if they could train with us of course dad said sure . Between shooting dad told one of the fellows that when he first started every officer had to be able to hit a playing card at 100 yards to qualify with the revolver he said sergeant honestly dad said sure I use to do it all the time but I've gotten so fat now I can't run back before the card falls out of the air so I can't show you but if you are willing to stand out there and throw up for me ? We all laughed and from then on those guys wouldn't go to the range without asking dad to go with em .One of them spoke at his funeral and both of them cried they honestly admired and loved him .He could get his point across with action but he always preferred humor .
The Following 7 Users Like Post: