View Single Post

Old 10-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Liked 19,915 Times in 8,805 Posts

LOL..... guess it was my Sr. year at Grove City. Fall tryouts for the Rifle Team... a few girls and a bunch of freshman guys. The women would take advice and suggestions on the equipment, thou most had some High School experience.

Most of the Guys I talked to on the other hand were .... "hey, been doing this for years" "deer hunt with my dad" ... etc etc...... tryouts were all shot prone; jackets, gloves and Anschutz .22s. We let them shoot the prior year Seniors rifles. the coach did a little spotting and sight adjustments .....looking for potential or prior HS experience .... not necessarily great scores.

Well last relay there was a empty position so I grabbed a rifle and my "stuff" and lay down ........ no spotting scope .... just having a first day back, no pressure, good time...... while the others were 'trying out"

I put 12 rounds down range on the 12 targets ( 2 sighters and 10 for score)....relaxed and feeling good to be back.....

The Coach sent a couple of Sophmore's down to pull the targets.... marked by position only.....Coach flipped through the targets and said "this one shows promise" .......IIRC it was a 120 11X.

Guessing I had over 20,000 rounds through "my" rifle in the prior 3 years... sights were still on from the last match in 74" and no pressure. Let the force be with you!

We got some good shooters out of that freshman group ; but the braggarts never came back.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 10-23-2018 at 06:47 PM.