View Single Post

Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,798 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
I certainly hope this thread goes away and dies. It seems like every time I look at the picture (in post #36) I take note of something I hadn't before----and it's damned embarrassing!!

Today's revelation is the rear sight. Note the reference marks surrounding the windage adjusting screw. There are NO S&W sights (pre or post-war) with such marks. There ARE such marks (absolutely identical marks) on the rear sight of a King Super Target that lives in my cabinet.

Having said that, and having disassembled/reassembled a (pre-war) King rear sight (and probably 60-80 pre-war S&W sights) I can tell you a S&W sight has two windage screws and nary a spring in sight, while my King sight has one windage screw (with detents)----and a spring (which does the work of the 2nd screw on a S&W sight)----just in case one may wish to remove that screw on this gun----and note the detents----and the spring.

I offer this as a clue as to who did what on this gun-----and anything else you'd care to make of it.

Ralph Tremaine
The picture in post 36 is a different gun, it's a confirmed King short action job.

The original poster's gun is different. He sent me a picture of the internals:

The Following 2 Users Like Post: