View Single Post

Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymcnab View Post
Sal, happy to help.
The letter indicates that 803 of these guns were built in 1984, utilizing the dull blue finish, which was being considered for regular production. Obviously, that never happened. The grips are the same high impact nylon used on the FBI 459's. The dull blue was the same as was used on the XM9 that was submitted for consideration by the US Government.
That's about it. There is no mention of these being contract overrun pieces, although I was under that same impression before I got the letter.
That's about it. As a side note, these are the only guns I own which I have never fired. Will I? I am sure someday I will no longer be able to resist.
Blessings to you and yours, fuzzy
In case anyone else looks for references to this gun, this post is correct. They are not overruns. There were only 803 of these ever made. I bought one when they came out in 1984 and wrote to S&W asking about it and got a similar letter from them (and still have the letter). The story about them was a little vague when I bought it but I figured I'd have a collector's item or a good shooter. As it turns out, a collector's item. Still in original box, unfired, etc.

Last edited by jameslo; 11-08-2018 at 05:25 PM.