View Single Post

Old 12-01-2018, 10:58 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,645 Times in 8,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike12 View Post

A few days ago we went again with *my* reloads - CCI SP primers. Everything went boom (50 rounds) but when I looked at the primers some had a normal, healthy strike and then some were barely there, perhaps 1/2 as deep as the others and obviously not as wide.
This addresses the different size and depth firing pin craters in the primers, not the licht strikes. I agree with above members in the failures to fire:

If all the primers go off, the size of the firing pin crater in the primer is based on the load and the primer tightness in the pocket of the case head. The crater size is determined by how hard and far the primer travels out of the primer pocket upon ignition. Hot loads and over pressure loads will actually have the tool marks of the recoil shield imprinted in the primer and they'll be very flat.

Recognize when the cartridge goes off, the primer is unseated and slammed against the recoil shield and then immediately is re-seated in the pocket when the case head slams back against the recoil shield.

You can test this by just seating a primer in an empty case and fire it. The primer will back out but not go back in all the way because there's not enough pressure w/o a powder load to slam the case back and re-seat the primer. It'll bind up the cyl.

Newer cases with tight primer pockets will not crater around the firing pin tip as much has old cases with looser pockets. Do you load your cases in lots of cases with the same number of firings?
S&WCA #819