Thread: 460 vs 500
View Single Post

Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 AM

Liked 604 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmjake View Post
Hello iam new on this forum but I have a few questions. Iam looking at buying a x frame revolver either the 460 or the 500 but don't know which would be the better gun. I may hunt black bear with it some day but iam mainly buying it to have a big powerful handgun. Your help is appreciated thanks,Jon
I own both - actually I own several of both calibers. The .460 gets a lot of interest because it can also shoot every other .45 caliber ammo in the world and that's certainly a consideration. The .460 S&W can match the power of the .500 with the right barrel and loads.

On the other hand, the .500 really is head-and-shoulders "better" than all other choices. I love my 4" model that weighs LESS than my .460 5". The .500 lofts bigger, heavier slugs and from shorter barrels will do more than the .460 S&W.

It really comes down to what YOU believe will satisfy your personal "Jones" for one of these monster blasters!

If you're not set-up to handload and don't want to be so, then the .460 is probably the better choice because you can shoot less expensive .45 Colt, or .454 Casull, or even .45 auto with moon clips. BUT, if you are set-up to handload then the .500 gets the nod hands down. With the .500 you make no "excuses" and the .500 will always "shade" the .460, especially from shorter barrels. The .500 will loft an honest "one-ounce-slug" at 12 gauge shotgun energy without even straining.

I should point out that virtually NO factory ammo for the .500 S&W is loaded anywhere close to it's "maximum average pressure" of 60,000 psi because frankly, there is no need. THAT is a POWERFUL cartridge to say the least!
The Following User Likes This Post: