View Single Post

Old 01-01-2019, 07:51 PM

Liked 187 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the 125gr bullets by any means in the 38spl's or the 357's. 124/125gr bullets in the 9mm on the other hand are what I use +/- 99% of the time.

I have shot factory & my own reloads using 125gr jacketed bullets in the past. Used anything from 2" bbl.'s to 10" bbl.'s and still test with 2 1/2"/4" (2x)/6" (2x)/8" & 10" bbl.'s to this day.

Your use/test of the speer gd ammo (extremely popular) and there is a lot of tests/info out there with that ammo. A simple search will turn up results like these.
Pocket Guns and Gear: Speer Gold Dot .357 Magnum 125 Grain Clear Gel Test
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/
357 Magnum 20 Percent Ballistic Gelatin

I remember easily getting to the 1500fps range with several loads in the 4" bbl'd 357's with 125gr jacketed bullets. As you can see from the couple of links I posted, they are all in the 1400fps+ range with every day 4" bbl'd revolvers and the same speer 125gr hp ammo. I've followed several of your posts and your #'s just seem low to what I'm getting.
Well there are a number of reasons for velocity discrepancies, like temperature, no two guns are exactly the same, and chronographs don't always agree with one another.
What chonograph do you use? What is the distance from muzzle to where velocity is read?
I have noticed that velocities I get are a little slower than a lot of data taken with the 'Chrony' type chronographs.
I had a rather in depth conversation with one of the techs at Oehler Research about this and he had a lot to say about this.. Most was a little over my head, but the gist of it was that the relatively short distance between sensors tends to error high, and also shooters tend to put the sensors too close to the muzzle which causes another issue. Ones whole investment is 'downrange' so putting it too far away isn't comfortable.
He also assured me that my Oehler product is a precision state of the art instrument and that as long as I do my part, as getting the spacing exactly correct, and keeping the unit shielded from muzzle blast, I will get precise, as precise as this instrument can be, velocity data.
I often think about a way to calibrate these things using sound that travels about 1133 fps depending on environment, and LED's that react to sound over the sensors. The velocity reading should be around 1133 fps.
I'm actually looking into the Doppler Radar technology available now.
The articles you forwarded did not indicate what product they were using, as least I didn't see it.

So it could be a slow gun, cold weather or any number of things. The only thing that is exact about this game, is it is not exact..