View Single Post

Old 01-02-2019, 07:24 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

Didn't mean anything by it, just seems your #'s are always low compared to what I'm getting with a chrony & competition electronics chronograph. Your #'s are also low compared to what I consider "reputable" sources like the brass fetcher link I posted above. Brass fetcher is an independent ballistics testing company.

Brass fetchet:
Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing has been in commercial operation since 2011. It was initially started by myself as a hobby website while I was studying Mechanical Engineering at Florida State University. That was 2004 and I began my interest in studying terminal ballistics, that is, what a bullet does after it strikes a target. Most of the time, ballistic gelatin blocks were the target and these results were posted to the Internet and enjoyed wide distribution to the online firearms community.
Immediately upon graduating University, I went to work for the Unites States Army, Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) at Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey. There I was a Research and Development engineer in the Small Caliber Munitions group, where I worked on a variety of long-term terminal ballistics tests, weapon evaluations, redesigns, proprietary cartridge and projectile development. My service with ARDEC afforded me the opportunity to interact with countless dedicated people who are experts at their craft both at Picatinny Arsenal and at other Department of Defense Activities for a span of 4 years.
After employment with the US Government, Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing was incorporated in the state of Florida and began to function as a commercial for-profit company. Today we provide third-party terminal ballistics testing solutions to Ammunition Developers, slow motion video footage to Film Libraries, Firearms owners and Historical Researchers. I am available to provide Expert Witness testimony in matters concerning bullet impacts and effects on human beings and inanimate objects.
Please take a moment to browse through our online database and view some of our work that we have done for other organizations.

I trust these peoples tests, when I'm in the same zip code as people like this or lucky gunner or handloader magazine. I'm confident in what I'm getting from the chronographs I use. I do understand the difference in firearms, heck even did a bunch of testing with bbl gaps. Kinda easy to do when you own a couple of dan Wesson 357's and several different bbl.'s/bbl lengths.

I'm not trying to steal your thunder, take away from what you do, or say anything negative by any means. I have the upmost respect for what you do and love all the posts/time you've taken to share your results. It's just that I find a lot of your testing on the low/slow side. I'm getting the same velocity's you're getting a lot of times out of a 2 1/2" bbl'd 586 l-comp. Couple that with +/- 100fps more out of a couple of 4" bbl'd dw bbl.'s.