View Single Post

Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Liked 858 Times in 295 Posts

I realize that there are many newer threads discussing 'Python vs 686/586', but I think I enjoyed reading this one the most. The price changes are especially interesting, but also the heavy leaning in favor of the 686/586. That was 2009. Members seemed to have a more positive attitude toward the Python by the 2013/2017 thread I located.

I did my 'Python vs 686' search because I have been shooting a 686, but have a blued 1970 Python and a couple of blued N-frame .357's arriving soon. I've handled all the guns, just haven't taken possession of the Python and N-frames yet. As far as looks, the Python blued finish is really incredible. At the time I held the Python the shop also had a blued 27-2 and it was pretty amazing as well, but not as nice as the Python (in my opinion). Both guns were 98%+

As far as shooting, one thing I'm getting from these threads is that different examples of the same model can have very different action, so it might not matter at all what I discover with only one example of each gun. I have old, weak wrists and personally can't handle the 686 in double-action with .357 rounds. I'm hoping things will be better with the other guns.

Sorry if bringing up super-old threads is frowned upon (I don't know), but I enjoy spending a fair amount of time just reading through the old stuff in this forum, so there must be a few others who do the same.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: