View Single Post

Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 AM

Liked 9,381 Times in 3,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus91 View Post
What i think i have witnessed (i'm not sure of anything by now) is that loads begin to destabilise faster in my revolver than a similar 686 from other shooting club members.

Shooting a plated SWC load a colleague got perfect holes while mine seemed to be not as perfectly round as his (ammo out of the same box, same barrel length).
Your FC looks better (not as rough) than the OPs or mine did. The bevel on the edge of the FC is odd. I'm not sure if it is of consequence though.

You might want to check the diameter of the FC's opening by using a fired .357 case from your revolver. Place the mouth of the fired case up against the FC opening to see how the sizes compare.

Ideally the FC mouth's diameter/opening should be no more than .020" over the bullet's diameter. The fired case's (~.377") diameter will be very close to that.

If you have access to a pin gage set you might try verify the barrel doesn't have a constriction (usually at the barrel-frame union due to over-tightening). The largest pin gage that can be freely inserted into the muzzle (~.345-.346", which represents the bore diameter) should slide smoothly thru a clean barrel & not stop before it exits the FC.

You can re-chamfer the FC without shortening the barrel. I used the 5 degree cutter because the 11 degree would have made the FC opening too wide before it removed the rough area in the FC. You would only have to shorten the barrel if the FC was damaged/out-of-specs.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 01-07-2019 at 01:50 AM. Reason: .