View Single Post

Old 01-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Liked 858 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
Nice thoughts, runscott. If you don't mind me suggesting, get yourself a set of Culina "Coke" Target stocks for your 686 and see how it feels. They will also fit K frame revolvers too. I don't own any L frames or K frames but I have 5 pairs of the Culina Targets on my N frames and they look great and also feel fantastic, even on my 44's with stout loads. They should make the K/L frames feel great too.

BTW, it seems like I told you that the Python would more properly compare to the Model 27 (or Pre 27 in your case) than to the 686 or 586. Both are the top of the line revolvers from each company, so should be compared to each other. I had a buddy in the 70's and 80's that had a Python and it was a great gun, but I still preferred my Model 27.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, you did say the 27 would compare more favorably to the Python. After handling, firing and examining the revolvers I described, I agree with you. But I still believe that the 686 was created to compete with the Python, which is why they are compared with one another, even if that comparison seems unfair. I wasn't familiar with these revolvers back then, so I only have to go on what I've read - Sweeney's 'Gun Digest' S&W book discusses the fact that some S&W owners wanted something like the Python and were having hybrid guns built, like the one Richard described. I believe Sweeney mentioned a hybrid of the 27 and Python, but it's the same idea. According to him, this 'need' of S&W owners led to the 686. It could very well be that many S&W owners saw no comparison between the two and saw the N-frame S&W's as their alternative to a Python. Those of you who were making such decisions back then would have to speak about this, as I wasn't in the market.