View Single Post

Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 AM

Liked 18,473 Times in 7,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperduper View Post
Seems as though, what with the reports of 45 ACPs so terrible on deer, we're lucky to have ever killed a foe in combat with one. I mean, combat, adrenaline and all. And all those deer killed with cartridges such as the 38-40 and 44-40. Oh, well. "Just sayin", myself, now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
I have to agree when you are talking about taking game that is of the same or less weight and volume of a grown man. Whitetails in the state of Michigan more often than not fall into this catagory. Also the same can be said for shooting distance. As indicated simular weight and velocity bullets worked in 1873 and will still work today.
There is a very important difference you are missing. In combat nobody stands up and uses their 1911 to take 50 or 100 yard shots at the enemy if they have any other choice. A handgun is reserved for use as a last-resort. The rifle is the weapon of choice
if one is available.

And that's really what we're talking about here - why anyone would make the CHOICE to shoot at a man-sized animal that isn't attacking them with a handgun caliber meant for use as an up close and personal self defense sidearm.