View Single Post

Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Liked 5,232 Times in 1,978 Posts

While I don't have any pictures of the one that I made, and I stole the idea from somewhere on the web, I like the empty CD/DVD "cake trays" for storing loaded moonclips. (photo also lifted from the web)

My case isn't as tall as the picture I found on the internet, but any will work. The center rod on mine holds loaded moon clips about 3 high. I went around the perimeter of the base and duplicated the center rod using 1/4" all thread through holes I drilled around the circle. Then used a thin nut on the bottom and a locknut on the top, to secure the rods in place. Seems like I got 7 or 8 to fit, evenly spaced apart.

Each of the new rods holds at least 3 stacks of loaded moonclips, so if it was 8 + the center one, it holds 27 loaded clips, and I have a lid.

I can already see that I should have used large fender washers to support the plastic floor, possibly top & bottom. Or I might just use and old disk to drill through along with the floor holes on the next one. It's heavier than I thought it would be, and I think I can get 4 of them inside the narrow metal ammo cans, and that give me 324 loaded rounds on 54 moonclips. (But I only have 50, so far).

The best drill bit for making the holes in the plastic is one of those "step bits", as they don't catch, snag and try to crack the plastic. And don't over torque the nuts. I'll try to remember to drag it out for a photo,...... or there might be one online somewhere. I read about the idea, but never saw one until mine was finished. I like the flat clear tackle box too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD cake tray.jpg (3.2 KB, 31 views)