View Single Post

Old 04-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogen View Post
I'd agree that if cases are properly sized and trimmed there's no concern in switching among rifles.

Now that PTR is a different situation; at least for me. I don't bother to reload for mine. Instead, I shoot steel case ammo in it. Not only does it launch cases into low earth orbit, but those I manage to find are disfigured by the chamber flutes. Opinions vary about reloading "fluted brass" but I choose not to.
So far my PTR cases have worked fine for my M80ish reloads, no problem yet in the gun. Sometimes the rim gets a bit roughed up and this makes it a little difficult to get into the shell holder, but that gun just eats anything once you've got it loaded. Flutes seem superficial, no problem from that. But I had to quit using my big Tupperwear tub as my brass catcher because the gun would hurl the brass so hard it would bend case mouths and dent bodies. Straightened out the mouths with a Lee universal flaring die piece and got the chewed up brass to work, I'll be keeping notes as I go through lots to see how long they will last.

I've been thinking of going steel in it again, my C93 only eats steel because of the bolt gap and I'm too lazy to change it, and the PTR shouldn't have any problems with it. I've been moving to brass ever since I read up on Lucky Gunner's steel case study about burning out barrels, but then again they were hammering those steel jacket bullets through hot barrels at high rate of fire; this may not apply to my style of shooting. I can't reload M80 any cheaper than I can purchase steel. Maybe I should reserve the brass for the other guns (DSA recommends no steel case, but they might be playing safe) and just not worry about a barrel I MIGHT kill at 5k rounds.

Lot of work to produce regular plinko grade rounds at the same price I can buy steel. I suppose "do steel jackets kill barrels appreciabily" is another thread subject entirely.