View Single Post

Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,569 Times in 5,522 Posts

I started reloading about 47 years ago. I spent several years obsessing over every detail, including "fire forming", "neck sizing", and other technical details that are probably of more interest to bench rest shooters than they will ever be to hunters or sporting shooters.

In the meantime I have owned at least 20 rifles in .30-06 caliber, and I have loaded at least 10,000 rounds for use in "service rifle" category (M1, '03 Springfield, Johnson, etc), all using the same brass processed the same way (full-length resizing, trimmed to length, etc), and the same bullets seated to the same COL.

In addition to the military rifles mentioned I have used .30-06 in a couple of sporting rifles while hunting Colorado mule deer and elk, and a few other edible critters. Process the ammo the same way for all rifles, and the results have always been satisfactory.

I suppose if I were a top ranked contender for bench rest shooting I might pay more attention to all the little details. But I'm not in that league so I just do what I need to do so I have ammo that functions properly in any rifle appropriately chambered. So far that has kept me satisfied with target grouping and meat in the freezer.

About 20 years ago I bought one of the H&K G3 rifles in 7.62 caliber with the fluted chamber. First time I picked up my brass I started wondering about how to deal with that. Found out that normal full-length resizing and processing was all it took to make everything work properly in the G3, M1-A, or the FN-FAL.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: