View Single Post

Old 05-26-2019, 08:27 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Hour View Post
Say what you will about revolvers but they just ride and carry nice, they carry naturally on the body and that's why people still like them. What else is as safe and reliable, can pack as much punch and carry as well in a pocket then a J-Frame? A Sig P365 with a light striker trigger pull and no external safeties you say? Maybe if you are 6'4" and aren't concerned in the least bit about having a negligent discharge then that might be a better pocket gun for you, it ain't for me.

The snub-nose revolver is the only type of handgun I've been able to carry comfortably every day, every season and in any carry configuration, IWB/OWB or in the pocket and still pack a decent punch. I can carry one at around 3:30 or 4 O'clock on my body and can still sit in a car seat or a chair and not have it bother me too much the way a compact semi-auto does. I can even carry two J-Frames fairly comfortably on occasion. The way a revolver is shaped and the shape of it's holster just conforms to my body better. I've discovered that a semi-auto which appears to be roughly the same size as a J-Frame will not carry as easily in a pocket due to it's shape and anyone who says they do probably has never spent very much time carrying and living with a J-Frame.

And yes, I've experimented with so-called pocket 9mm's and all of them were either too big for pocket carry and/or were too snappy for me to control well. Even the Glock 42 which is .380acp was too big for me to pocket carry easily, it would print like crazy in jeans and even in loose cargo pants the sights would always snag or the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster would come out every time with the gun. I've never had a DeSantis Nemesis come out of a pocket like that with any of my smaller .380's I've carried but I couldn't make it work for the G42 no matter how many times I tried breaking it in, it was just the wrong shape and size. All this on top of it's light striker trigger pull and no external safeties which I never felt comfortable about in a pocket. Needless to say I got rid of the G42 and it was back to the old J-Frame for me. Shame on Glock and other companies like Ruger with their awful LCP II who market these things as safe pocket pistols when they are really not.

I know there are some decent small .380 pocket pistols like the LCP, Bodyguard and Kahr P380 but if you were honest would you really feel more confident with one of these finicky, cheap little pistols over a J-Frame? I don't, that's why mine only seldom come out when I need extremely discreet carry, like wearing dress clothes or some other reason.

It's not all about ammo capacity, rate and ease of fire or faster reloads for me, it's about how well I can live with the gun every day and whether I feel totally safe and confident in it and nothing I've tried so far does that for me quite like a revolver.
Carry what you like. I never told anybody whay they should do, only me.

I don't find a revolver more comfortable. You do, that's fine. But a J frame 38 is thicker than a 9mm auto so bulges a little more in the pocket.

I agree there's no "Pocket 9." I said compact 9mm. I have a 380 thast rides in my pocket quite well.

I see no safety issues with modern auto pistols.

Would I prefer a 380 over a J frame? Yes. That's why I carry one. A good 380 load is not far behind a 38 Special from a 2" barrel and mine carries 7 rounds compared to 5 in a J frame.

Again, I don't presume to tell anyone what gun to carry. But you seem to be arguing against semi-auto pistols and I don't buy that argument. I know what makes most sense for me.