View Single Post

Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Liked 603 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Callahan View Post

What I would really like to see discussed here today is the .45 ACP and nothing more. Not how it compares to other cartridges, just the .45 ACP cartridge on its own, something that nobody can ever seem to do anymore.

In this thread, let's discuss the merits of the .45 ACP cartridge, it's strengths, what it's good for, where it shines, and how it's still relevant today.

This is NOT a 9mm bashing thread, so please refrain from posting inflammatory comments on 9mm Luger, (or any other cartridges for that matter) let's have a nice, civil discussion for once without derailing into an insipid Caliber War.
In keeping with your opening request I'd like to advance my own positives about the 45 auto cartridge.

Being relatively low pressure, but large bore with a huge bullet, even in FMJ profile, the round is powerful enough. It's worth nothing that the specification for the 45 auto cartridge - 230 grain "ball" at 840 fps is almost spot on to that of the Schofield cartridge almost a half century earlier - 230 grain "ball" (lead) at around 800 fps. Even better, is that while the original spec 45 Colt loads were 255 grain slugs over 40 grains of FFFg Black in a balloon head case, the Army soon thereafter "de-rated" it to a 230 grain "ball" (lead) over just 28 grains of FFFg black! Bear in mind these loads reflect the thinking and experience of people who saw them used in action. Back then, a SAA could find itself used in a primary role due to it's ability to fire six shots before reloading, compared to the single-shot Trapdoor that lasted almost into the 20th Century.

The bottom line of this is, a 45 auto is a potent cartridge WITHOUT any modern "bullet magic." Something to think about. Those big, blunt FMJ bullets displace a lot of tissue, and though the military uses FMJ bullets, there is no reason one cannot just as easily use cast lead slugs which feed just fine, and again, in the 45 auto, don't even have to be pushed to get power! So basically, you can think of a 1911 as an 8-shot version of the venerable 45 Colt! Of course today we have higher capacity, lighter pistols chambered in the 45 Auto - Glock 21 with 14 rounds standard comes to mind.

In head-to-head comparisons, the 45 auto gives a very good showing compared to the 10mm - as they say in drag racing, "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches!"

In the modern world, with modern bullets such as the Hornady XTP, the 45 auto produces some of the best expansion possible in gelatin tests! Even so, if all you had was "ball" ammo, few would feel under-armed. With the smaller bores, this is not the case.

Plus, the 45 is an excellent foundation cartridge for adding more power - 45 Super, and even the 460 Rowland with appropriate gun mods or setup. Consider the tremendous difference in ballistic power when the 45 auto is loaded to chamber pressures equal with the 9mm! Then consider how drastic would be the loss of power of the 9mm if loaded down to 45 auto pressures! Oh wait, that's the 38 Special!

Way back during the Federal magazine ban, 9mm handguns became a lot less popular for one reason - and we all remember the phrase: "If I can only have 10 shots I want 10 BIG shots!" For many people, if they can only carry 10 shots in a 9mm, versus just 8 in a 1911, they'll take the 1911. That's the "comfort" of the bigger bore.

Last edited by Bill Lear; 05-27-2019 at 07:44 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: