View Single Post

Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

I am not a LEO, but I feel the need to chime in. I do believe that the increased firepower of the semi-auto has it's place in law enforcement, provided that the rounds hit the designated target. I think that, as a civilian, I could have more confidence in a properly presented LEO carrying a revolver than most of the young officers carrying some flavor of semi-auto.

Personally,I believe that the worst "advancement" to hit police training is the Q target with the 70% qualification standard. I believe that most officers are better served by training with the decimal silhouette or the old "Kill/Disable" silhouette .

A case in point is a local trooper armed with possibly a Glock engaged in a firefight with an armed suspect. He fired 3 shots and never connected, and then a foot chase resulted. Suspect was caught, but was the officer effective in the firefight? Had it not been a rural setting, there is a high probability that there would have been collateral injuries.

The extra firepower is beneficial only when it connects with the adversary in the firefight!