View Single Post

Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Liked 19,897 Times in 8,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmodelof1989 View Post
If you read my previous post, you will see I'm clearly against using revolvers for police work. Why would I suggest using a revolver for suppressive fire? Quite the opposite.

You've probably done a ton of police work in your time, so I beg you to think about the times you were first on the scene and going back to the car is NOT an option. I implore you to think about all the times you were beating feet working overtime security at a concert, parade, hospital, or school; we don't typically carry long guns around in those situations even though these places are often targeted by murderous cowards. The pistol is the primary in these situations.
Sorry we are not connecting.......I agree the use of a revolver is highly unlikely in this day and age. Thou I think a J-frame may be a good back up weapon.....my point was we carry handguns (autoloading pistols) for convenience... not because it's the best tool when one finds themselves in need of a firearm! We are seeing more patrol rifles and sub-guns (MP-5) deployed on a routine basis ...... look at some of the videos of "security" in airports and places like NY City

My point was today if one is bailing out into a "nasty situation" more likely than not the patrol rifle will be employed as an officer primary weapon.... they are no longer just employed by the SWAT Team. Things and times change....for decades the first responding officers secured a perimeter ..... since Columbine they enter and engage ......generally with a long gun.

My other point is I don't think I've ever heard the term "supressive fire" used in Police training/ training manuals... while employing it may be necessary to resolve a situation .... seems like the Dept would get crucified in any follow up civil suit especially in urban or suburban areas.

As an aside: when I was much younger (late 70s) I thought the perfect combo would be a 4" 66 .357 backed up by a Browning HP. If six shots of .357 weren't enough to resolve the issue.... I wanted a high cap 9mm and a couple of extra magazines not just a couple of speed loaders........ at that time the Browning was just about the only high-cap 9 in common usage ..... and patrol rifles were rare.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 06-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.