View Single Post

Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo288 View Post
Attachment 371535
Exactly!
While the magnum is also capable of accuracy, for me the special is easier to shoot to this level.
It's also easier to find good loads.
The 4" 624 and the 696-1 seem to digest just about everything and put it on target.

Fairly early on it became apparent to me that my budget required me to specialize and limit the scope of my collecting.
I went with stainless as I am a function over form kinda guy and they were more available at the time (mid '80s).
I agree there is nothing like the classic look of cold blue steel. I just never acquired any revolvers that are blued.
An old friend of the family... named "Ron Brown" (he passed recently) and both he and my step father worked with him. He got me into reading Skeeter Skelton... Skeeter said the .44Special was the most accurate handgun and load he'd ever shot and I believe he shot them all big and small. So before I could source a true M24 I got an M29 LHS and shot .44Specials out of it and its an extremely inherent round/load by it's nature even out of .44Magnum Revolvers. Shooting a true M24 Lew Horton Special and I have to agree with Skeeter Skelton and our friend Ron Brown. The .44Special IS the most accurate round/gun I've ever owned and shot! I thought .45ACP was the best thing since gunpowder was invented but even it is only 80% what the .44Special is in a true M24 with 240 to 255grain pills and loads in my experience!

My M24 shoots every one of these factory loads pretty much the same and lights out but with an extra modicum of accuracy going to the 240 and 255 grain loads! .44Special on Left, .44Mags on Right. I've found .44Magnum M29/M629 to be the 2nd most accurate gun/load right behind the .44Special.

All these Factory .44Mag loads my M29 and M629 have shot really well too! My brother and I have finally got our progressive loading set up, up and running so I'm thinking the true potential of both .44Special and .44Magnum is yet to be untapped for us!

Last edited by HamHands; 06-13-2019 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Syntax and Pic...
The Following 5 Users Like Post: