View Single Post

Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeboteb View Post
Was this because the Japanese Armorers mixed things up?
Yes, that is the accepted and logical reason for the parts mix up. After many were re-imported after WWII, they came back in shipping crates to a dealer or dealers / wholesalers ... I think ... in California or another Northwestern state.

Ed Cornett knows much more about this. I hope he jumps in here for a comment.

These were commercially sold within the US (by the importer or importers after WWII) with the later batches being complete mix ups which are "presumed" to be because at the near end of the batch the dealer or wholesaler just put together parts to complete the units.

I actually have one that is 1/2 of one Japanese Contract & 1/2 of another SN Japanese contract with a non-pro refinish but nice and tight. This makes for a good shooter but comes up short on the collectors' value.

Although many have matching numbers, just about as many have a different SN cylinder while fewer are complete "mix and match put-togethers".

Some reported to be GI bring-backs from WWII and from Korean War. I understand the WWII bring backs (of Axis power gun types and makes) from all theaters of operation, however, I don't fully comprehend how some of these Japanese Contract S&W NM3s could be brought back from Korea in the 1950s. Someone with facts please jump in to help clarify. >>> Ed, where are you ??

Last edited by model3sw; 06-18-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: revised