View Single Post

Old 09-24-2019, 07:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 34,161 Times in 5,336 Posts
Default Big ol' .38/40 Colt New Service

There it was, under the glass in my local Cabelas.

I looked at it, put it back, obsessed over it for a night, and went back. I pitched them $400, they said NO. I held tough for 3 seconds, and said: $450? and they said OK. With my GI Joe discount it was $425. Seems like a decent price, but I haven't kept up with what these go for. I have one other New Service - a .45 Colt 7 1/2" but I got it when I was 14 (46 years ago).

Its the first model, made in 1903 per the serial number.

It hasn't been refinished. Some blue is left, but it is mostly brown.

Its my first .38 WCF.

Some of the markings are faint, but they are there.

Stocks are nice, and numbered to the gun.

Of course at Cabelas I was buying a pig in a poke. No way to check the action until I got it out of the store and got that cheesy lock off in the parking lot, and then no returns on used guns. Oh boy - the action would barely turn. I didn't want to force it, so I came home and gave it a good cleaning. The innards were dry as a bone and sticky, but it cleaned up well and now has a smooth action. The bore and chambers are good. The lanyard ring is missing but the base for it is there.

Now to find some ammo. None to be had at Cabelas.

I love it. There is something about these plain old guns that makes me feel like they would jump out of a holster on their own and shoot a sassy bandit out the saddle.

Last edited by sigp220.45; 09-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 68 Users Like Post: