Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Liked 9,159 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
....I did not see a Model 1906 listed.
My mistake typo,

The other is not a Model '06

It's a Model '09
Same detachable box mag as the Model '03.

The Baker you can spot real fast as it has kind of a Browning A5 type hump to the back of the recv'r. I think they call that the Baker#2

There was an earlier one sometimes called a Baker#1, but it wasn't a Baker at all though it looks nearly the same as the #2.
Plus it was a semi auto. BUT, it had the pump handle out front which was used to chamber the first round,,then semi auto from there.
The maker was Freibeger (sp?) or something like that.??
(Maybe Baker made a copy for a short time as well, I don't know,
Savage did threaten to sue Baker over the #2 rifle and it's infringement on Savage patents.

I like the Savage pump 22's.
I recently picked up a Model 1914 in pretty nice shape along with a Model 29S marked 'Ranger'. (I think the Ranger(Sears Roebuck catalog) designation was a Model 30S)
(S) is Special for the factory Lyman tang sight and fold down rear bbl 2 leaf sight.

There's a Model 29,,29A,,and a 29B.
The 29 is a Model all in itself and quite different from the slightly later Model 29A and 29B which are much more common and the same rifle except for sights.

The 29A is a smooth top recv'r. no provision for a scope.
The 29B) was D&T for a Weaver N side mount and some later were grooved for the top mount., Other than that they are the same rifle.

Savage cataloged a 29G (Grooved) in place of the (B) when that feature came out but the rifles are still stamped Model 29B on the side.,,at least I've never seen or heard of one marked 29G.

The 29A/B are Hi/Vel ammo rated. The others are standard vel only though some of the later Model29 rifles were 'upgraded' with what Savage called a HighSpeed bolt. Those still get St/Vel ammo from me as the upgrade is only a slightly less deep cut into the bolt face for the carrier clearance.
Parts are slim to none when you go looking for any of these except the 29A & B.

Very accurate rifles.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: