View Single Post

Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Liked 4,923 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
I recently "retired" from being an IDPA Match Director (for 15 yrs) and the push to speed up the shooting and make it easier is truly pervasive in the shooting sports. IDPA started as very different than USPSA (IPSC) and emphasized defensive tactics, using actual carry guns. No more! The revised IDPA rules allow "run and gun" tactics, and even "stock" pistols can be highly modified. Cover has been de-emphasized, and speed emphasized.
Like it or not, NRA is just being swept along in the frenzy of blasting away with the latest high-tech guns at relatively easy targets with scoring that emphasizes speed over accuracy. I too, am an old dinosaur that really enjoyed precision shooting at small targets with par time scoring, like bullseye and PPC.
I recently quit a local club where this has gotten out of hand.
Bullseye had been dropped long ago. But, they did have an IDPA and USPSA certified range officer running those matches. They pressured him to 1) speed up the matches, and 2) stop "DQing" members for blatant safety violations. So, he quit, too.

NRA runs a myriad of rifle matches, and have figured out how to create accessible competitions that allow new shooters to get involved, but also transition into other areas of increased difficulty and/or specialization.

Sadly, these young shooters who just dump magazine after magazine of 9mm into a zombie target 10 feet in front of them are just ingraining poor shooting habits they'll likely never overcome.

Jim
The Following 4 Users Like Post: