View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

A Commercial Model 1903 New Army revolver,,is my guestimate.

Commercial sales as it has no US Army or US Navy markings on it . Both would be on the butt.
USN w/ an Anchor and Model #
US /Army/ Model #

Maybe they were lost in the refinish?

Serial number from the lists I have puts mfg in 1904
By that time the Model 1892 New Army and Navy revolver had gone thru several Model changes and in had become the 1903 New Army and Navy in that year.
Most changes were small mfg internal differences. Others were plain to see like the early change from the rear of the cylinder face locking notches on the 1892 to placing them on the outside circumference of the cylinder on the '94 version.

Colt did make a change to the bore/groove dimension on the 1903 Model of these.
But I cannot for the life of me remember what it was all about.
It was one of the ways to check to see if the gun was actually a 1903 Model and not an earlier version. Common calibers were 38Colt and 41Colt. But late in production civilian Models were offered in 32-20, and IIRC some in 38S&W.

Civilian /commercial sales of the revolver were offered in 2 versions.
The New Army,,,and the New NAvy.

Neither commercial version had US Military markings of course.
But the New Army had black hard rubber grips with the rampant Colt pony logo in the top rounded area of the grip.
The New Navy commercial version had black hard rubber grips but with
'Colt' in a round area moulded into the grip.
Aside from the grips & name being different, the two commercial versions offered for sale were the same revolver AFAIK.

The grip plates on a Model 1903 New Army and Navy should be slightly thicker (?) than the orig grips fitted to all the other versions. Don't have a spec for you.

Grips should be ser# matched to the gun. Usually hand scratched on the inside, sometimes simply penciled.

Colt used a bored straight thu chamber for cal 38 Colt (38Colt Long)
You find the same straight bored thru chamber (no shoulder with separate throat) in the SAA and the Colt 1877 Lightning when chambered in the same cartridge at the factory.

The straight through chambering will allow a 38Special and even a 357Magnum to drop into the cylinder.
OAL of the latter two bulleted rounds determine wether the gates can be closed and the cylinders revolve or not.
The 1877 was(is) commonly shot with 38Spl W/C ammo as it's out of the box OAL didn't interfere with anything and the little Colt seemed to handle them OK.
Not too awful many orig 38Colt chambered SAA's around anymore. The bbl & cyl switchers made them into 45Colts and the like. But they show up once in a while.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: