View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Liked 7,646 Times in 1,455 Posts

I didn't grow up in a hunting family. It was something I took up with the guiding hand of some of my friends and their families in my teen after my parents moved to Utah.

Due to a divorce I really didn't get to take my kids hunting all that much. Sure we got the occasional hunting and fishing trip in but not near as much as I wanted. Ex-wives can be that way. Now I'm older I've tried to make up for it by getting my grandkids out in the field as often as possible.

I've put enough meat in the freezer and it much more enjoyable seeing them be successful. There is nothing better than passing up a shot and letting a youngster fill their tag.

Last night we had all the grandkids and their parents over for dinner. One grandson was wondering when we can the pronghorn he shot last September officially scored. I was suprisedwhen a couple of the kids ask about Spring turkey hunting. Best of all one my 15 year old grand daughter said she wanted to go go hunt deer or something next Fall. It is the first time she has shown any interest in hunting so maybe I'm doing things right.

Hopefully after I'm gone those kids will still get out into the field and think of me the way Doug feels about family and hunting buddies passed.