View Single Post

Old 11-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Liked 135 Times in 72 Posts

I recently had a person from a gunsmoke challenged overseas location ask me to teach them how to shoot in the short time they were stateside. While reviewing all the aspects of shooting (safety, mechanics, fundamentals) I mentioned the different emphasis on shooting styles and competitions but pointed out the traditional learning method was to get good at Precision Pistol and then move on to other types of shooting.

What surprised me was how well the new shooter was able to work into getting all shots (usually at a Timed Fire pace) with a 22 into the 9 ring on a NRA B-8 repair center at 25 yards and then a 45. (2 handed shooting using the USMC Pistol Team Workbook). Yes there were times where a dry firing break was needed to fix problems but I was impressed at the determination and progress made.

Once the fundamentals were nailed down to a good degree rapid fire and multiple targets were tried at closer distances with several different types of firearms but the shooter decided they really like the challenge of 25 yards.

Another reason I picked 25 yards was what good is teaching shorter distances if the shooter moved to the EU and the range they go to is 25 meters only?

Last edited by Rowlf; 11-26-2019 at 09:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: