View Single Post

Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Liked 3,830 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
I am skeptical about Les Baer's claims. I also agree that for a carry pistol, the 1.5" guarantee is a waste of money. The best machine rest group I ever saw was shot from a Rock River full on accurized .45 ACP wadcutter pistol built specifically for bullseye pistol match shooting. It was a ten shot 7/8" group fired from a Ransom Rest using a reload of 185 gr. Nosler JHP over a charge of Alliant Bullseye powder. That pistol was very reliable from the git go, too! Even a gun capable of shooting 3" groups at 50 yards will take a good shooter into the Master Class and probably the 2600 club. I like my defensive pistols to be capable of shooting 3" at 25 yards, unsupported with the right ammo. I do think that a certain amount of accuracy gives one confidence in his/ her equipment and is helpful, but doesn't replace hard work to master the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
What is there to be skeptical of? All Baer guns are guaranteed to be able to shoot 3" or better at 50yds, if you want to pay for it they'll build you a gun guaranteed to shoot 1.5" or better at 50yds. Pretty simple, pretty clear, and they've made the same guarantees for at least a couple of decades. Because the shooter isn't capable of wringing that kind of performance out of a pistol isn't a reason not to buy one.

Everyone shoots better with a more accurate gun. If the gun is built to a guaranteed level of accuracy then you know that whatever accuracy issues you see on the range is the shooter, not the gun. If all a gun is capable of is a 5" group at a given distance then the shooter is going to have a real hard time shooting it better than that, no matter how good they are.

My Baers are not 1.5" guns but they are certainly more accurate in my hands than most of my other 1911s. They've been perfectly reliable on the range and in matches as well. I have no issues with carrying one for protection and if I was still on the job I'd have no problem using one for duty carry, either.