View Single Post

Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 AM

Liked 7,779 Times in 2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
Here is one with an unusual tooling pattern. It is marked Faust Pasadena CA on the rear. I have not been able to find much info on the maker. But I sure like his work.
I was intrigued by this one and learned from Old Cowboy Saddles & Spurs that John Faust came to Pasadena CA from TX in 1940, also worked for Bohlin, and d. 1960. The stamping pattern itself is somewhat unusual but was used by others; this one is by King Ranch and unable to date it accurately neverthless King Ranch fired up its saddlery very late 19th century and this is the model that the Brill-style of 1907 and later was derived from; by shrinking the pocket around the revolver, cutting away all the leather showing past the profile of the narrowed pocket, and folding the holster's fender as close to the mouth of the pocket as possible to make the revolver carry very high and angled rear sight forward. It then became the precursor to the Threepersons that simply pared away the cuff and fender, leaving behind a stitched loop.

1 original king ranch design (2).jpg

I actually cut this one up and turned it into a Brill to prove the point :-).

P.S. the original post is No. 44; for some reason the image from it does not appear above.

Last edited by rednichols; 12-12-2019 at 02:54 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: