View Single Post

Old 12-14-2019, 01:35 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,278 Times in 1,910 Posts

Murph,

Fascinating subject, isn't it?

I would think the ease of printing and assembling boxes at M W Robinson, this also being a much larger city, would make more sense than shipping from Springfield to New York. Arriving in wooden crates would be the revolvers themselves.

Of course, a lot can happen in over 140 years, but one box having the M W Robinson printed on it and the other not strongly suggests the other box was not through M W Robinson. Maybe all instructions and labels were printed for attachment to boxes assembled elsewhere. BUT, the two boxes, one with the M W Robinson printing, and the other without, are so identical they must have originated at the same location??? The one without M W Robinson imprint has the name and location of Arlington, Mass on it. Again, a lot can happen over 142 years, but it's possible that revolver went from Springfield to Arlington, bypassing New York completely.

Also, where were the spanner tools manufactured?

So, I raised more questions than I answered!

Also, the other gun a poster presented is owned by Driftwood Johnson. His box has a cardboard divider. Did some boxes have them and others not, or were mine discarded, or was the divider created after market by the consumer.

Lastly, I could letter these guns, except it's unknown if Dr Hall purchased these with original boxes or if it was a later matching, and also since he owned both revolvers and boxes, if each revolver ended up in the other box inadvertently over the years.
The Following User Likes This Post: