View Single Post

Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

I've learned not to evaluated any Model 3 unless I have it in hand to examine it completely.

Yes, Prices on the oldies have taken a severe correction after years of being run up at auction and because of newbies wanting one in range they can afford.

HOWEVER, Those in immaculate original condition and completely unbooger-ed wont suffer much I feel.

Condition, condition, condition along with scarcity tell the tale with the economy leveling prices into lower price ranges.

Any common configuration, "brown" gun or those showing wear, age, peeling, and (to me) improper function are just "Iron" no matter if S&W or any other manufacturer, e.g. Colt, Merwin Hulbert and other quality manufacturers. Old Colt SAAs are #1 on the buyer beware list !

The future market for the antique S&Ws are to be by the popularity, desire, demand, and condition ... nose to tail, inside and out.

The higher condition, more desirable guns will always bring the premium prices (based on the economy) more than any others and more than the common models where 100s of thousands were manufactured, most being well used and abused.

The thrill is that it will always be new and exciting to someone.

I have many Model 3s that I still shake when I hold them for the scarcity and beauty of what they are.

A nice 8" barrel target with some options on it, a New Model 3 Target in .45 S&W Schofield (only 2 that I know of ... I have one), The 2nd order Australian that are not broad arrow proofed ... 26 ordered. 6"(6+1/2) barrel There are only 3 of those known, 1 in a museum in Australia, another in a private collection here in the USA that was Robert Neal's but is factory refurbished (to me no big deal on the factory refinish) ... and mine, an easy 95% original condition. and then there are plenty more I have hidden away that had I not purchased them 20+ years ago, I'd never have found them.

The TRULY scarce and rare ( not those who become scarce or rare because the seller says so) will always be scarce and rare and likely end up in a museum .... or .... in a PRIMO Private Collection.

There aren't as many collectors of PRIMO Private Collections as there once was (and there were not many back then either) which I feel will turn the scale on value to the better .... within reason.

Don't buy a big dollar Model 3 or other scarce antique unless it is fully examined by someone very knowledgeable of the Model 3s.

All the best,

Sal Raimondi, Sr.
MODEL3SW

PS: I NEVER purchased a Colt SAA because of the amount of Fakes and replaced parts that go un-noticed for decades by the best Colt Collectors and experts !!

Last edited by model3sw; 12-31-2019 at 01:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: