View Single Post

Old 01-03-2020, 04:31 AM

Liked 9,337 Times in 3,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
For some odd reason reloaders have to have that "gooder neck tension"/wasp waist look or they feel they're not doing something good.

MFG's make countless 1000's of rounds every year and what you don't see is bullet bulge. But you will see a couple 1000th's taper crimp. But heck what do they know.

You can get away with it with the hard jacketed bullets. Move over to soft cast, swaged or soft plated bullets and all's you'll do is deform them along with making it easier to seat the bullets crooked.

At the end of the day all of these things are easy enough to check/test. Increase the crimp and test. Increase the powder and test. And lastly if you make your reloads look like they have wasp waists roll them on a flat surface (piece of glass) with the rim hanging over. It is extremely easy to find/see out of round reloads from bullets not being seated strait. Or from the brass stretching unevenly, bass work hardened more on 1 side/less forgiving/etc.

Of the major manufacturer's plated bullets that I've pulled, after seating, they did not show any meaningful change in diameter. As I stated, use a M-type expander for soft bullets, irregardless of type, that would so be affected. More than one option applies.

I find it curious when people are critical about a pistol round not being seated "straight". What are we talking about, the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

And it's not like we're talking about a lightweight hi-velocity bullet in a 1000yd. bolt action rifle's cartridge with a fixed/stationary chamber/barrel, no barrel-cylinder gap, no forcing cone, nothing for throats & a locking bolt forcefully holding the round in place.

We're talking about a revolver with (6) chambers & throats that aren't identical, a cylinder that has rotational play (& probably fore & aft play too) with inconsistent alignment, chambers that allow the cartridge to float around (forwards & backwards) freely, a cylinder-barrel gap, & a forcing cone to "persuade" the bullet to go down the center of the barrel.

And then we have short(er) cartridges that are happily shot in longer chambers (38s in 357s, 45ACP in 45Colt, 40s in 10Auto, 45Colt in 460Mag, etc) that have to traverse the chamber's diameter bouncing off it's walls until it finally gets to the chamber's throat for alignment.

And all, likely, in a short barrel being shot at a target just yards away. Right?

I'm all for doing a conscientious job but I don't sweat minute seating alignment differences in a revolver. Each to his own.