View Single Post

Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 AM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Big kudos to JayFramer for getting his hands on one of these and giving us the scoop, positive and negative.

I'm watching with intense interest. We seem to be coming into a revolver renaissance. Ruger's still making good products and constantly updating its variations; Kimber made a winner in the K6s and appears committed to the product by expanding the line each year since its introduction; and Colt's return with the well-reviewed new Cobra and King Cobra.

Now the Python -- which looks to be an overall improvement within the bounds of modern production methods.

All these manufacturers seem to be listening to their customers and their potential customers, who have been lamenting their options for some time.

Good designs. Quality builds with consistent evidence that the manufacturer and its employees care about each product that leaves its factory.

Consistently good, shootable triggers out of the box.

Better sights and sight systems, stock.

No locks.

Thoughtful new designs that find a happy medium between capacity, shootability, concealability and carryability.

S&W, the premier manufacturer in this group -- and a passion for some of us -- has fallen behind in these respects and it's reflected in the emergence of significant new competition, which I suspect will enjoy a lot of dollars that otherwise would have grudgingly gone to S&W.

I know my money now has other viable -- in many instances seemingly better -- options and will be spent accordingly.

I hope S&W is paying attention and has a plan to compete in the form of offering new and updated products that better reflect what the market is clearly showing it wants.

As for the Python, I like what I see (and I have never been a Python or Colt revolver guy), and want to hear from the likes of Jay Framer and more new owners in the near term, because if its established (like the K6s snubby, Night Cobra and others) to be yet another example of the revolver S&W should be building, I'm buying (at least) one.