View Single Post

Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Liked 4,807 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu View Post
I have high expectations on a Woodsman target match I bought recently.

But it's not in my hands yet. So, since I still haven't tried it, I still cannot praise it.

But I got photos of it.

Best 22 handguns.-colt-woodsman-match-target-01-2-jpg

Best 22 handguns.-colt-woodsman-match-target-02-2-jpg
Very nice, Mario!

I had a similar one, made in the late 1950s. It showed incredible overall quality, when Colt really cared. Their discontinuing of the Woodsman line in the 1970s came at a time when things were just falling apart for them. Labor problems, QC problems, customer service problems.....what a shame.
My Woodsman shot so well, I won many matches with it. I preferred the grip angle to my M41. The sear gave me some trouble, which was a common problem known to Colt and that they refused to fix. A gunsmith made me a new sear, and the trigger was better than ever.
Some people say the slide mounted rear sight is a design flaw from the standpoint of accuracy. But, the fitting is so good, I doubt that. Mine had no trouble holding the X ring at 50 yds. The lower sight line compared to the bridge mounted rear sights used on the Hammerli 208s/208 and High Standard Trophy is also more to my liking.

I even like the bottom mag release. It is very slick, fast and reliable. I prefer it to the Hammerli 208 release with the stiff, awkward spring.

Jim

Last edited by 6string; 01-18-2020 at 12:40 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: