View Single Post

Old 01-18-2020, 04:20 PM

Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
Don't go crazy as with a HBWC you can blow the skirt off the bullet & if you shoot another behind it you'll bulge your barrel . Personally I'd use a 38 case , bump load .2 to .3 grs & seat bullet out of case neck to an OAL of 1.360". Can do the same with a 158 SWC or RN only use OAL of 1.455"with say 3.7 to 4.0grs W231 or 4.7 to 5.0grs of Accurate # 5 .
I'm pretty new at this - could you tell be what you mean when you said you can blow the skirt off? I have not reloaded HDWCs, yet but have been using the Acme 158 LSWC with the hi-tek coating.

I have a little OCD when it comes to cleaning stainless. Many years ago I shot 38 brass in a 686 and those rings in the cylinders used to drive me crazy. Right or wrong, it's too late to change me now. I have a lot of 357 brass and use coated bullets mainly to cut down on cleaning time. I do want to experiment with different powders and coated bullets though, and have done a lot of searching on the various powder web sites, and even bought a book. Most of the recipes that I want to try are written for the 38 case however.
The Following User Likes This Post: