View Single Post

Old 01-29-2020, 04:56 PM

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default MODEL 28-2 NEED HELP!!!!

Good afternoon,

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys may be able to provide me. As you may notice, I am new to this forum. I am also quite new to S&W revolvers. Last week I purchased my first Model 28-2 at a local gun show. This isn't my first S&W revolver (I have a 329PD), however it is the oldest one I have purchased or owned. I purchased it from a very nice gentleman who had it advertised at his table for $800. After some back and forth we agreed upon $650 cash. Prior to the purchase I looked the weapon over as thorough as possible. I noted that the serial number on the frame behind the yoke had been defaced and appeared to be re-blued. I also noted that the assembly numbers on the yoke itself had appeared to be re-blued to the point they are partially obscured. At the time I wasn't too concerned with these issues because the rest of the weapon appeared to be in great condition and I asked the gentleman to remove the target stocks so I could see the serial number on the butt of the revolver. After seeing the serial number on the butt I went ahead with the purchase, completed a 4473, exchanged the cash, and made my way home.

Once I got home I contacted a very close friend of mine that I served with in the Army for some length of time. In my opinion he is extremely knowledgeable about S&W revolvers, especially pinned and recessed models. After showing him some pictures and talking with him, he told me I shouldn't be concerned about the value of the weapon and he believes I got a great deal. Initially he was concerned about the legality of the firearm. After explaining to him (to my best knowledge) that the firearm is still legal because the serial number Is still on the butt. Which, as I understand it, is THE serial number that the ATF and S&W consider the most important one on the firearm. Again, from my knowledge and research, S&W began placing serial numbers on the frame behind the yoke in order to display the serial number on models that might have the butt serial number obscured by target stocks. From what I understand S&W did this so the end user did not have to remove the target stocks in order to read the serial number. He then was more at ease with my purchase and has assured me multiple times that the defacement of the serial number under the yoke will not seriously effect the value.

However, because of my OCD and inability to let things go, I decided to contact the seller. He told me that he had purchased the revolver 12 years ago from a pawn shop that is located 2 hours north of me. Since then it has been in his safe and on his books. I questioned him about the serial number under the yoke and he stated he had bought it that way. I told him that had I known more about these revolvers and market I probably wouldn't have purchased it. He then stated he was under the assumption that I was knowledgeable about the firearm and knew exactly what I was purchasing. He said he would be more than happy to give me my money back in exchange for the revolver. He was very polite and apologetic. I told him to let me think about it. Fast-forward to yesterday morning. I receive a call from the seller again, this time on speaker with his wife (who helps him run his business) right next to him, he again apologizes for the miscommunication at the time of sale and is willing to make it right if I'm unhappy. He assured me multiple times that the firearm is 100% legal but if I was unhappy with the condition or felt uncomfortable having a weapon with a defaced serial number he would give me my money back in exchange for the revolver back. I told him to let me do some more research and I would get back to him.

Fast-forward again to today. I contacted another close friend I served with in the Army who now works for a very large company in the firearm industry. I asked him if he could put me in contact with someone at S&W who might be able to repair and re-stamp the damaged area. He sent an email to his contact at S&W and got a reply within an hour or so. S&W stated that they will NOT repair nor re-stamp the damaged area.

So here are my dilemmas/questions. In your humble opinion what is the percentage grade condition of this firearm in its current state? What is its approximate value? Is the defaced serial number going to effect the overall value and possible sale in the future to the point I should just get rid of it now? Should I repair the defacement? Since S&W will not repair the area should I contact a local gunsmith to see if they will repair the area? Should I just return the revolver to the seller and look for a different one? What should I do?

My intentions are to use this revolver often. it is not a safe queen (none of my weapons are) and I do plan on using it to hunt and target shoot. However, I will not keep something in my safe if its not legal or if its value is less than what I paid for it (unless its a family heirloom). My greatest concern with this revolver is that I have been ripped off. Im concerned I paid much more than its actually worth. Please provided any insight, advice, or values/assessment you may possibly have. Please don't be afraid to speak the truth, you will not insult me or hurt my feelings.

I have included several pictures (sorry for the cellphone quality, its all I have) please let me know if you would like more detailed or specific ones.

Thank you all for your help and wisdom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (104.6 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.5 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (85.1 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (45.7 KB, 1427 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (80.3 KB, 428 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: