View Single Post

Old 01-29-2020, 06:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 171 Times in 86 Posts
Default S&W model 41 quality

Blackemmons,
Your question is the reason I buy S&W’s built from 1975 to 1940. I have one model 41 left after years of owning six at one time. I sold off my others to allow me to have funds for experimenting with Colt, Pardini and Sig pistols. The model 41’s I have owned all had the same features, they worked and were accurate. The older the 41 is, the better the metal polish and bluing is. All of the 41’s made in the 1940’s thru late 50’s appeared to be hand assembled. I suspect the hand fitment stopped when the factory started using CNC machinery. My last model 41 is a 7&3/8” model with the muzzle break. It accepts old magazines as well as the latest mags with the cheaper plastic follower, and is perfectly reliable with all. It isn’t quite as accurate as the Pardini SP-22 I have, but at 25 and 50 yards, it has no problem keeping Wolf MT or Federal 711-B inside the 10-ring with 10 shots from a rest. With my love of older models evident, I helped a young gent that has a newer 41 with some of your problems. He showed up at the range with CCI SV. He had FTF and blamed the new mags. I let him try my old mags and he still had FTF. I handed him a mag of Wolf MT and a mag of Geco Semi-auto and had him pull the barrel and let me clean it and lube the slide rails with CLP oil. His next 10 rounds fired and functioned perfectly. His model 41 isn’t as pretty as my 1958 model, and my 2# trigger pull arrived before lawyers ruined the world, but his 41 is plenty accurate, and he enjoys it now. A good cleaning and trying out ten or more brands of ammo may be what gets you going. Light oiling of the rails and a couple of drops of oil on the recoil rod should be tried, before giving up. CCI SV is ok, but the ammo available to you has a lot of dimensions that vary. My Pardini won’t function with CCI SV, but delivers a ragged hole with Wolf MT as well as Federal 711-B. You won’t know till you try.
Good luck!
Arman
The Following 2 Users Like Post: