Thread: Model 53 Jet
View Single Post

Old 02-02-2020, 04:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 39,764 Times in 10,102 Posts

Hamilton Bowen no longer has any blank cylinders. I emailed him in search of one and a blank N frame cylinder.

I am going to fit and install a extractor from a K frame 22 cylinder when I modify the model 19 cylinder. You could turn an extracto down and add a piece to it to make one though. But K22 extractors are not that hard to come by.

Drill and ream the model 19 cylinder to 25/64 (.3906, slightly over 357 case diameter). Turn some 4140 round stock to .03907 and drill and ream it to 7/32 (.2187). then once I have 6 over length pieces of insert with one end slightly tapered, I will chill them in a solution of dry ice and acetone to shrink them slightly and warm the cylinder to around 400f to enlarge chambers slightly. Use an oven mitt place the cylinder on a jig in my arbor press, hold the insert with a small tong with the taper in a reamed chamber and them press it in. I plan to do every other chamber then re heat the cylinder and do the last 3 chambers. Chuck it up in lathe and carefully flush the tapered parts of inserts off even with face of cylinder, then turn it around and do the other end so extractor seats correctly. I could also use my mill and a rotary table similar to cutting a cylinder/extractor for moon clips. Then use a rifle chambering reamer to take the chambers to correct dimension. The actual bore of a lot of 22lr is in the .218 area.

22 lr are hardly high pressure.

Someday I would like to make a complete N frame cylinder for heat treated 4140 and chamber it for shortened 30-30 case that has the walls blown straight. Kind of short 30 Herret

Just an interesting project on my list. I do have the model 19 cylinder and the K22 extractor star, But, having a handful of K 22s and a K frame in 22 Harvey Kay Chuck, with a spare cylinder for 22TCM itt is not high on the list. A 325 to 45 colt is first on the list.

Last edited by steelslaver; 02-02-2020 at 05:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: