View Single Post

Old 02-05-2020, 02:42 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,070 Times in 1,585 Posts

I know this is an old thread but it appears I missed it first time around. Fascinating gun and history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWoods1900 View Post
Goodness, Askins and Jordan, a couple of real blasts from the past. Throw in their old pal Elmer Keith and you have the Great Triumvirate!
For an imagined "what might have been", find a copy of "Pale Horse Rising" by Stephen Hunter. Late in the book are fictionalized characters based on Askins, Jordan and Keith, as well as Ed McGivern, Jack O'Connor and even Audie Murphy. It's a hoot to read. Here's an interview with Hunter that appeared in American Handgunner in 2003: Make mine a Thompson: gun-guy and novelist Stephen Hunter on guns, gangsters and America. - Free Online Library

From the interview: "I began Pale Horse with the idea of a posse of those great gunwriters riding to the rescue. My homage to the Good Old Days that never were! (Editor's Note: The posse referred to includes revolver legend "Ed Mc Griffin," ex-Border Patrolman "Charlie Hatchison," author of Second Place is No Place "Bill Jennings," war hero and movie star "Audie Ryan," Winchester ace "Jack O'Brian and, of course, "Elmer Kaye" and his legendary hotted-up 44 Special.)"
The Following 2 Users Like Post: