View Single Post

Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Liked 6,624 Times in 2,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hemi View Post
I believe what Fastbolt was seeing in the field was the 40cal because they're so many.
Yeah, I saw some of the integral railed 4006TSW's, but those were in the hands of the CHP officers using our range.

My own former agency ran more to .45's, with upwards of 70% of the line staff submitting a request for 4566TSW's when our initial staff survey and orders were being made, with the remaining numbers being 4006TSW's. The 4006TSW was the 'default' issued weapon if somebody didn't request a 4566TSW. Then, of course, as more people were seeing the 4566TSW's in holsters, people issued the 4006TSW's suddenly wanted to trade them for 4566TSW's, so the .45's became scarce and desirable weapons between subsequent orders.

It flipped the other way as the TSW's were being replaced with issued plastic (M&P's), as well as with a couple other makes/models as they were approved for optional personal purchase. It started with people forming lines to get M&P 45's, and with a lot of M&P 40's sitting idle in inventory, but then more people started requesting M&P 9's. We'd originally ordered a small amount of the M&P 9's (against them being needed for any recoil sensitive shooters). Suddenly, people were discovering the easier handling qualities of the 9's, though, and the demand kicked up.

Many of the former .45 enthusiasts started wanting to go to 9's, too. Even some longtime .45 aficionados on the training staff were wanting to replace their .45's with 9's. Last I heard, the ongoing orders being placed for additional new weapons were only for M&P 9 Compact 2.0's (first orders of M&P 9's were the slightly larger 'original' M&P 9's).

Still a lot of M&P 45's in-service, though.